How to Sell Your Junk Car to a Local Salvage Yard
If you have a junk car taking up space in your yard, you can easily get cash for it and have it removed from your property using a local company, like Cash for Clunkers. We have connections with junk yards, pick and pulls, scrap yards, and more across the country. Plus, we provide free towing!
Whether your car has electrical, aesthetic, or mechanical flaws, we will take it and give you cash immediately upon pick-up, as quickly as 24-72 hours! We even take junk cars that are no longer running.
Before we dive deeper to the process of getting rid of your unwanted vehicle, you should understand what a scrap yard is and how it works.
What are Salvage Yards & Scrap Yards?
Whether you call it a junk yard, salvage yard, or scrap yard, any of these terms refer to a location where vehicles are scrapped. Some places, often called a pick and pull, even allow for customers to remove needed parts that are still working.
Basically, the junk yard is the end place of metal things of all sorts. Metal bikes, trailers, railways and cars all end up in this rusty paradise. Most of the time, these junk yards do sell salvaged metal from recycling facilities and units which melts them down and recycle them into new metal items.
For How Much Will a Scrap Yard Buy My Junk Car?
Generally, prices for used cars on sale really fluctuates. However, one can expect a range from 100 to 500 dollars for an old car. The price of the car depends on several factors like the weight of the car, overall condition of the car, and the current price of scrapped metals in the market.
In addition to that, other factors include the model, make, and year of the car; the amount and location of damage to the vehicle; location of the car or if the buying junk yard is required to tow in the car.
One of the most common practices of junk yards is that they pay in cash for junk cars. Yet, there may certain fees to cover once your car has been purchased, like towing fees, unless you go through Cash for Clunkers. The offer we make is what you get because we have no hidden fees or extra costs.
Research Pick and Pulls or Salvage Yards
Below, we have provided a checklist on how to sell your junk car to a salvage or scrap yard. Of course, if you’d like to save yourself time and energy, just give us a call or fill out our online form to get cash for clunker cars right away with little to no effort!
Tips on how to sell you old used car to various junk yards around town:
- Contact various local junk yards within your vicinity. Do an online search and look into the ones which have the most favorable feedbacks. You can do that by simply checking on their customer feedback page. Always deal with the junk yard with the most positive feedbacks from their previous clientele. Check out reviews from Cash for Clunkers clients!
- Keep your questions handy whenever you contact a scrap yard or pick and pull. Ask specific questions like how long will the entire process take, are there towing fees or other fees, and what paperwork they need. Cash for Clunkers can take cars with a lost title, while most junk yards are unable to buy a vehicle with no title.
- We suggest that you do some research on the current price of the scrap metal in the market. You can do it through online research. This is important so you can estimate the price of your car. With Cash for Clunkers, though, you can rest assured knowing that we provide the best offer guaranteed!
- Do not forget to prepare the car. Remove all the personal belongings inside it. Make sure you get rid of all the items you own. Also, try to clean the exterior and interior of the car thoroughly, unless you are selling to Cash for Clunkers, in which case no cleaning is necessary!
- Lastly, be prepared for haggling. Scrap yards want to get your junk car for the lowest possible price so that they can make money. However, Cash for Clunkers has been trusted by customers for over 12 years, providing the best prices and without any haggling. We won’t even hassle you to take our offer – if you don’t like it, you can leave it!
How Should I Get Rid of my Junk Car?
There are more options that just selling to a scrap yard. Determine whether you simply want to get rid of the car or you want to earn some cash from it. The following are some more options you might want to consider:
While a much longer and slower process, you can list your junk car online and see if anyone wants it as a fixer upper. However, this will likely only work if your car is still running or if you can find a private buyer with a trailer. If you car is in bad shape, though, you probably won’t get any interest since most online private buyers are looking for used cars in good running condition.
Donate Your Junk Car
If you don’t need the cash, you could donate your junk car to a charity organization. This may also have its pros and cons. For most car donors, the endless forms to fill out and the deductions a donor needs to cover can make them think twice about donating the car, unless you go through Cash for Clunkers.
With our junk car donation process, we make it easy! Simply answer a few questions. We’ll pick up your junk car within a few days and provide a tax receipt. Plus, you get to choose between two vetted organizations: Wheels for Wishes or Vehicles for Veterans.
Sell to Us and We’ll Donate to Feeding America
That’s right – if you need the cash but also want to feel good about it, you can sell your junk car to us. With every car we buy from a customer like you, Cash for Clunkers donates to Feeding America, the nation’s largest hunger relief organization.
This means that you can get that ugly car off of your property, and at the same time, you can help provide meals to hungry children, seniors, veterans, and families across the country! Perhaps in your very neighborhood!
Final Thoughts on Cash for Clunkers
Our expert representatives here at Cash For Clunkers can help you in finding the best price for your car instead of selling your unit to junk yards. We specialize in convenient, easy, and fast cash for cars in any condition.
So, instead of exhausting your efforts by selling your junk car to scrap yards or pick and pulls, you can contact Cash for Clunkers for faster and reliable transactions, locally! Give us a call or fill out our online form today to receive a quote in minutes!